The substance abuse and/ or addiction treatment process requires steadfast commitment and in many cases a complete shift in one’s way of living. According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5), addiction is noted as a brain disorder that is characterized by compulsively engaging in rewarding stimuli without regard for the inevitable negative consequences. As is true with the treatment of any mental health disorder, the treatment process for substance abuse and/ or addiction is a delicate, lengthy process that is most effectively achieved under the supervision of one or more qualified mental health professionals. There is a plethora different options of detox programs, substance abuse and addiction treatment programs, and transitional or sober living facilities available to individuals in need. Due to the countless options, the selection process (of any stage of recovery) can seem incredibly overwhelming. When it comes specifically to sober living facilities, there are several considerations to bear in mind to ensure the facility you select is reputable, such as the following:
- Condition of facility: make sure the interior of the facility appears orderly, clean and neat, without signs of insect or rodent infestation. Additionally, the exterior grounds of the facility should appear as manicured, if not more than the neighboring homes.
- Note the location of the sleeping quarters: residents should be sleeping inside the actual home, and sleeping quarters should neither be in an outer building nor in a garage.
- Fully functioning facilities: make sure both the bathroom facilities and kitchen are fully operational.
- Requires random drug screenings: the purpose of sober living facilities is to help individuals learn to live sober lives. Regular and random drug testing can help residents achieve this goal as well as help to prevent relapse. If a sober living facility does not hold its residents accountable in this way it can be a red flag.
- Note the safety and privacy provisions: residents of sober living facilities are entitled to both safety and privacy, which can be enforced via clear safety and privacy rules.
- House rules: house rules are integral to keeping an orderly home, and these protocols should be widely known by all sober living facility community members.
- Professionalism: clear ethical standards and ethical behavior is essential when it comes to a sober living facility. All members of the sober living facility, both members of the staff (including the owner, when present) and residents must conduct themselves in a professional and ethically appropriate manner at all times.
Making the choice to transition to a sober living facility after completing a substance abuse and/ or addiction treatment program, prior to returning home is a big decision. The countless options available can make deciding which sober living facility to choose seem like a daunting process. Everyone will have different needs when it comes to sober living, and those should be at the forefront of one’s mind during the selection process. It is essential to make sure the sober living facility chosen is capable of accommodating one’s specific needs.
For Information and Support
If you are concerned for yourself or a loved one in regards to substance abuse and/ or addiction we recommend reaching out for help as soon as possible. If left untreated, substance abuse can result in long lasting and potentially life-threatening consequences. Keep in mind: you are not alone! There is an entire network of professionals that are available to help and support you and your loved one throughout the recovery process. The earlier you seek support, the sooner your loved one can return to a happy, healthy, and fulfilling life.
Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions regarding our specific program at Haven House Addiction Treatment and/ or general substance abuse and/ or addiction treatment related information. Our highly trained staff is readily available to discuss how we might best be able to help you and your loved one. We can be reached by phone at 424-258-6792. You are also welcome to contact anytime us via email at email@example.com.