Addiction, also known as substance use disorder (SUD), is characterized by compulsively engaging in rewarding stimuli despite negative consequence. It is a chronic, relapsing brain disorder, and is listed as such in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5). The development of substance use disorder does not occur immediately, nor will recovering from addiction be achieved instantaneously. While there is significant empirical evidence underscoring the benefits of attending rehab, there are alternative ways to overcome an addiction. If you are attempting to get over a drug addiction without going to rehab, try:
- Meditation: Meditation is defined as “a set of techniques that are intended to encourage a heightened state of awareness and focused attention.” Through the practice of meditation, a person can gain insights into the ways in which his or her mind processes information, emotions, and even formulates thought.
- Mindful breathing exercises: Research has found breathing techniques can effectively help with relaxation, stress management, control of psychophysiological states, and improve organ function.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is defined as “an originally Chinese practice of inserting fine needles through the skin at specific points, especially to cure disease or relieve pain.” It can be used to help reduce substance cravings and ease withdrawal symptoms.
- Prioritizing hydration: As is explained by experts, “water makes up over two-thirds of the healthy human body…it lubricates the joints and eyes, aids digestion, flushes out waste and toxins, and keeps the skin healthy.” To kick it up a notch, try drinking lemon water. Lemon water is high in vitamin C and potassium, and drinking warm lemon water has been found to promote and improve digestion and boost immunity, helping to cleanse the body of unwanted toxins.
- Reiki: Reiki is defined as “an energy healing technique that promotes relaxation, reduces stress and anxiety through gentle touch.” The Center for Spirituality & Healing at the University of Minnesota evaluated overlapping data from scientifically valid studies on Reiki that found it “to reduce anxiety and pain, and suggest its usefulness to induce relaxation, improve fatigue and depressive symptoms, and strengthen overall wellbeing.”
- Getting a pet: Studies have shown that pets can have a therapeutic impact on people suffering from drug or alcohol addiction and various life-threatening disorders such as heart diseases.
Regardless of one’s desire to avoid rehab, some people will not succeed in overcoming substance use disorder without professional guidance. If you have been unsuccessful at overcoming your addiction on your own, it may be advantageous to consult a mental health professional.
For Information and Support
If you are concerned for yourself or a loved one regarding substance abuse and/ or addiction, we recommend reaching out for help as soon as possible. If left untreated, substance abuse can result in long lasting and potentially life-threatening consequences. Keep in mind: you are not alone! There is an entire network of professionals that are available to help and support you and your loved one throughout the recovery process. The earlier you seek support, the sooner your loved one can return to a happy, healthy, and fulfilling life.
Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions regarding our specific program at Haven House Addiction Treatment and/ or general substance abuse and/ or addiction treatment related information. Our highly trained staff is readily available to discuss how we might best be able to help you and your loved one. We can be reached by phone at 424-258-6792. You are also welcomed to contact anytime us via email at email@example.com.