Detox, or detoxification, is explained by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) as “a set of interventions aimed at managing acute intoxication and withdrawal. It denotes a clearing of toxins from the body of the patient who is acutely intoxicated and/ or dependent on substances of abuse.” There are many ways to support the detox process. For example, an article in the Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics found that detox diets may improve the way one’s liver removes toxins from the body. Rather than just highlighting one, below are several drinks that can help your body detox and flush out unwanted toxins:
- Water: Water promotes good digestion by dissolving toxins and waste particles in the body and flushing them out through the digestive tract. One study found that drinking two liters of water every day causes thermogenesis, which improves digestive health and in turn helps eliminate toxins from the body.
- Apple, beetroot, carrot juice: Each of the ingredients in this detox drink have a range of nutrients. Consuming this drink helps the liver to remove fat-soluble toxins, the kidney to eliminate water-soluble toxins, the intestines to remove undigested toxins, and the skin to remove metabolic toxins.
- Ginger tea: Cleanses the body by stimulating digestion, increases circulation, and causes sweating thus helping in detoxification. A study published in the International Journal of Preventive Medicine has also revealed that ginger can treat a wide range of diseases.
- Mint lemonade: There have been multiple studies that indicate the benefits of mint extracts, including how it can be used to treat symptoms of indigestion. Lemons are rich in vitamin C, which aids the immune system and helps the body flush out toxins.
- Pomegranate juice: Pomegranate juice is filled with punicalagins and is high in vitamin C. The University of California Davis Department of Pomology produced findings from a study that indicate that pomegranate juice accounts for higher antioxidant activity in the body thus helping in detoxification.
- Cucumber mint detox drink: Cucumbers offer vitamin K and manganese, as well as supply the body with protein and fiber. Fiber is particularly important as a detoxifier because it is responsible for flushing the body of waste. Mint improves the flow of bile in the stomach and when paired with antioxidant-rich cucumber, the combination can help cure toxic overload.
For Information and Support
If you are concerned for yourself or a loved one regarding substance abuse and/ or addiction, we recommend reaching out for help as soon as possible. If left untreated, substance abuse can result in long lasting and potentially life-threatening consequences. Keep in mind: you are not alone! There is an entire network of professionals that are available to help and support you and your loved one throughout the recovery process. The earlier you seek support, the sooner your loved one can return to a happy, healthy, and fulfilling life.
Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions regarding our specific program at Haven House Addiction Treatment and/ or general substance abuse and/ or addiction treatment related information. Our highly trained staff is readily available to discuss how we might best be able to help you and your loved one. We can be reached by phone at 424-258-6792. You are also welcomed to contact anytime us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.