Traumatic brain injury as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is “a disruption in the normal function of the brain that can be caused by a bump, blow, or jolt to the head, or penetrating head injury.” Symptoms that present with TBIs can range in severity and duration. To be properly treated and individual must obtain an accurate diagnosis and the severity (e.g., mild, or moderate to severe) of the TBI must be distinguished. Every individual is unique and will require a tailored treatment plan to ensure all nuanced needs are met. Depending on one’s needs, the best treatment options for a TBI in 2021 include a customized treatment plan that consists of any combination of the following interventions:
- Acute Treatment Options: provided by the Mayo Clinic:
- Emergency Care: when a moderate to severe traumatic brain injury has been sustained emergency care services will focus on stabilizing the individual’s oxygen and blood supply levels, maintaining blood pressure, and preventing any further injury to the head and/ or neck.
- Medication: medications can be used in efforts to minimize the development of any secondary brain damage, such as:
- Anti-seizure medications
- Coma-inducing medications
- Surgery: surgery may be needed to limit additional damage to the brain tissue and address the following problems:
- Repairing skull fractures
- Removing clotted blood
- Relieving pressure inside the skull by opening a window in the skull
- Bleeding in the brain
- Post-acute Treatment Options
Although there is a plethora of treatment options available to help an individual recover from a TBI, not all methods of treatment are effective across the board. It is important to note that there is no universal formula that makes up the best treatment option for a TBI, as each person is different, and no two TBIs are the same. Traumatic brain injury treatment is intended to help the brain of an individual that has suffered from a TBI rebuild and reinforce neural pathways that were damaged to enable functioning at peak performance.
For Information and Support
If you are concerned for yourself or a loved one regarding substance abuse and/ or addiction we recommend reaching out for help as soon as possible. If left untreated, substance abuse can result in long lasting and potentially life-threatening consequences. Keep in mind: you are not alone! There is an entire network of professionals that are available to help and support you and your loved one throughout the recovery process. The earlier you seek support, the sooner your loved one can return to a happy, healthy, and fulfilling life.
Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions regarding our specific program at Haven House Addiction Treatment and/ or general substance abuse and/ or addiction treatment related information. Our highly trained staff is readily available to discuss how we might best be able to help you and your loved one. We can be reached by phone at 424-258-6792. You are also welcomed to contact anytime us via email at email@example.com.